Thursday, November 7, 2013

FORMULA 1 AFTER-RACE CONCERTS




MUSE

(02 Nov 2013, Saturday)
Venue: Du Arena, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi



This is the first time I have ever seen MUSE live in concert and, wow, it totally blew me away!!! Jaw-dropping!!! This is one of those times I would honestly declare being 100% unbiased in saying how brilliant a band is. 

Matthew Bellamy is so damn multi-talented, I don't even know where to start! That crazy high-pitch screaming vocals alone would give you the chills— now picture him playing lead guitar at the same time, in epic style— jumping about the stage, swinging his guitar, dropping on his knees (and at one point bent down, forehead touching the floor- still playing), and the best part- playing the guitar on his back! (behind the head), check out the footage below for “Plug In Baby”. Seriously, there’s a moment you’d think you’re watching a battle-of-the-bands segment, ha! I am so amazed! (Oh, Kate Hudson, you lucky lucky b*tch! ;p) He also played the piano wonderfully on “Prelude” whereas on “Hysteria”, he smashed his guitar twice on that stage equipment—(an amplifier, I reckon), which, I hear, is quite of a concert routine for him.  

Let's not forget, he's also a prolific songwriter. 


The bass guitarist Chris Wolsternholme (hmmm, he's sexy, does he know it?! :p) and drummer Dominic Howard (with such boyish charms) are just as impressive and exuding with intense energy the whole time! (oh yeah, both are known to play other instruments as well). On “Knights of Cydonia”- the last song for the night, Chris played the harmonica beautifully. 

Songs played (I’m missing some):
Unsustainable
Supremacy
Panic Station 
Supermassive Black Hole
Hysteria
Monty Jam
Plug In Baby
Prelude
Survival
Follow Me
United States of Eurasia
Madness
Time is Running Out 
Uprising
Starlight
Knights of Cydonia








DEPECHE MODE

(03 Nov 2013, Sunday)
Venue: Du Arena, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi


I’ve waited more than 20 years to see Depeche Mode live onstage! Yes, I’m a long-time fan and all I’ve been wishing for that night was to hear them play some of their best (classic) songs – my favorites from their 1984 album “Some Great Reward” (i.e. People are People, Somebody, Master and Servant, Stories of Old, Blasphemous Rumors)… So, I was a little disappointed that they didn’t… and it left me a bit hollow inside :(  


In fairness though, they played “Just Can’t Get Enough” (who wouldn’t know that song after all, eh? The crowd went gaga over this!) and several songs from their 1990 “Violator” album (another one of my favorites) such as “Personal Jesus”, “Halo”, “Enjoy the Silence”, and “Policy of Truth”.  I felt very proud, wearing my Violator t-shirt that night, haha!  ;p


David Gahan’s voice is still as great as it ever was!, what a dazzling performance!, made me laugh though every time he would shake his hips and twirl round the stage (at some point reminding me of the late Freddie Mercury’s antics particularly with the way he would carry the microphone stand). 


Martin Gore was likewise simply marvelous! I so loved it when he sang “Shake the Disease” and “A Question of Lust”!... and obviously, the crowd adored him too! 

Andy Fletcher’s sophisticated moves while manning the keyboard was just as engaging… and while I would admit that the tour drummer was at par with the trio, at the back of my mind, I was (understandably, right?) wishing it was Alan Wilder pounding  on those drums... Oh well.


Check out the video for “Never Let me Down Again”- that’s where they got the biggest crowd participation (about midway to the song) when people had their hands up swaying from side to side, singing along loudly like it was a karaoke night!… Lovely sight.


Here's the SETLIST (courtesy of Gulf News' Mark Pendergast) 



Intro (Excerpt from ‘Welcome to My World’)
1
Welcome to My World
2
Angel
3
Walking in My Shoes
4
Precious
5
Black Celebration
6
Policy of Truth
7
Should Be Higher
8
Shake the Disease (Acoustic; Sung by Martin)
9
Home (Acoustic)
10
Heaven
11
A Pain That I’m Used To (‘Jacques Lu Cont’s Remix’ version)
12
A Question of Lust
13
Enjoy the Silence
14
Personal Jesus

Encore:
15
A Question of Lust (Acoustic)
16
Halo (‘Goldfrapp Remix’ version)
17
Just Can’t Get Enough
18
I Feel You
19
Never Let Me Down Again






Side note: Du/Yas Arena deserves huge props for the fantastic stage effects during both shows! They definitely magnified the experience- the presence and performance of the bands more special, more striking, more memorable!- the smoke cannons, the giant screen onstage, the stunning futuristic light effects, and the top sound quality. The best concert venue I’ve ever been to, by far!, hands down.


1 comment:

  1. Depeche Mode has never let me down..that's why I watched their 1994 Manila concert and this time in Abu Dhabi with much awe..

    ReplyDelete